Sunday, March 27, 2011

Yet another Berlin week

Hello,

So this week was spent getting back to business which was hard to do after being in Switzerland but it wasnt all that bad. I spent a few days in studio continuing the work on my project but we also had some nice warm days off to do some more exploring of Berlin. On Thursday after class me and a few friends went to visit the Crematorium in Berlin. Creepy I know but we were told it was something not to be missed in Berlin. Well our approach of the building was very exciting, but the bad news came when we got to the entrance. It was closed....dum dum dummmm. I did however take some interior photos from the outside, and walked around the perrimeter, so the trip was not a total bust. Here are some pics from the Krematorium Berlin.

There's a little glare but its the best I could do 


Interior of the Crematorium

Shadows

Exterior of the Crematorium

Friday in class we went to the Jewish Museum by Daniel Libeskind, a world renowned architect who has recently been commissioned to work on the project at Ground Zero. The museum was incredible, more so the building itself, but the exhibitions were very interesting as well. I have to admit...I was feeling under the weather that day so I sort of "got lost" from the group and got some quick shut eye in the Glass Courtyard seen below. After our roaming time, we got a guided tour...kind of backwards I know, but it was good for me because I was seeing a lot for the first time where as much of the rest of the group was seeing everything for a second time. It payed off in this case to be a slacker I guess.

Glass Courtyard at the Jewish Museum Berlin

Interior view of the Museum

Exterior shot from the gardens

My favorite exhibition here. Very dark and gloomy but also extremely powerful. The point is to walk on these very heavy metal screaming faces. The feeling underneath your feet is extremely uncomfortable and the noise is piercing as the faces clink together. 

So today I spent the day in studio doing work. We have a short week this week, back to classes just Monday and Wednesday. Off to Nice, Monaco and Monte Carlo in France on Thursday morning for the weekend! Prague the weekend after! A lot to look forward to so I will keep you posted. Hope everything is going well for everyone back home!

John


No comments:

Post a Comment